Tuesday, November 08, 2005
Attempted Murder of my Red Wrigglers
Background: Of my friends that still read this blog, I would imagine that you know that I own a vermicomposting bin, which I used to keep in my room until my landlady found out and made me put it outside and now I keep it in the basement so my little worms don't freeze. Anyway, I feed them once a week with leftover vegetable or fruit matter to help them continue to reproduce until I can use them for composting all of my kitchen wastes.
Situation: Last night I came home and went downstairs to grab my bin, only to realize it was much heavier then normal. So I opened it up and to my surprise, someone had dumped the kitchen catcher (full of compostables to be put in the outside bin) into my little worm bin which is about 1.5 ft. X 1 ft. It is much too small to hold that much material. (I'm still in the process of determining exactly how many worms I have, and I know that they can eat their weight in "x" number of days, so I figured that would help me determine how many I own. I predicted that I probably had about 100 worms in there, and now, after someone suffocated them, I probably only have about 50.) Anyway, when I opened the bin, it was full of rotting material (different from composting) since it was covered in mold. On top of all the material were strips of newspaper to do what? - apparently keep the smell down? Hmm I'm quite shocked by the behaviour of someone in my house. It smelt horrible and had squished all of my little worms . So I emptied the bin, and tried to cover up the remaining vegetable matter to help keep the smell down. But now to figure out who did this... hmmm...
Background: Of my friends that still read this blog, I would imagine that you know that I own a vermicomposting bin, which I used to keep in my room until my landlady found out and made me put it outside and now I keep it in the basement so my little worms don't freeze. Anyway, I feed them once a week with leftover vegetable or fruit matter to help them continue to reproduce until I can use them for composting all of my kitchen wastes.
Situation: Last night I came home and went downstairs to grab my bin, only to realize it was much heavier then normal. So I opened it up and to my surprise, someone had dumped the kitchen catcher (full of compostables to be put in the outside bin) into my little worm bin which is about 1.5 ft. X 1 ft. It is much too small to hold that much material. (I'm still in the process of determining exactly how many worms I have, and I know that they can eat their weight in "x" number of days, so I figured that would help me determine how many I own. I predicted that I probably had about 100 worms in there, and now, after someone suffocated them, I probably only have about 50.) Anyway, when I opened the bin, it was full of rotting material (different from composting) since it was covered in mold. On top of all the material were strips of newspaper to do what? - apparently keep the smell down? Hmm I'm quite shocked by the behaviour of someone in my house. It smelt horrible and had squished all of my little worms . So I emptied the bin, and tried to cover up the remaining vegetable matter to help keep the smell down. But now to figure out who did this... hmmm...
Comments:
Post a Comment
